Blogging: what's a funny way to learn English!!

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Stimulating skype-experience






Hi friends!

I’m here again to tell you about my second skype experience. Last Monday I had my second skype exchange, it was really STIMULATING! In this conversation I didn’t speak with Bari but with Lea. We continued talking about the same topic of the previous week which was recycling; Lea asked me some questions (in Italian) about the recycling situation in Italy. It was a little difficult to understand her Italian (and her American too ); moreover, sometimes I couldn’t hear her voice clearly, anyway I really enjoyed myself in this conversation.

Lea asked me some questions about the initiatives which are promoted by Italian ecologists and about the degree of pollution in the north and in the south of Italy. Unfortunately the Italian government is not investing a lot on green projects, anyway I told her about few initiatives which are promoted such as domeniche a piedi”: when the degree of air pollution becomes too high some regional councils (especially in the north) decide to stop cars (on Sunday) from driving in the city centre. Although this initiative is really important it represents only a little contribution to the improvement of the situation (if the government invested more money on green transportation system maybe the degree of air pollution would be lower!!). When she finished her questions I hadn’t time to ask her further questions about New Orleans because our skype time was finished.

The conversation was really stimulating and has many positive implications ^_^. We both had the opportunity to exercise our foreign language (she spoke in Italian and I in English).



From a linguistic point of view skype conversations made me reflect towards two directions: grammar mistakes and fluency. I make more mistakes when I speak than when I write, this is because an oral speech requires immediacy (there no time to think about grammar correctness). Moreover, I realized that it is difficult to converse on-line but this type of conversation represent a challenge that stimulates me to exercise more and more in order to improve my English. As regards my language fluency I noticed that I am not so fluent as I would like to be, for this reason I need to excercise a lot. I think that reading and repeating are good exercises but what is very important is to think in English as much as possible.

As regards the content my conversations with Bari and Lea helped me to enlarge my intercultural knowledge as well as to find the information that I lacked as regards the Italian recycling situation!


Finally I think that recording the conversations and analysing them from a linguistic and cultural point of view is really helpful for improving your language skills and enlarging your intercultural knowledge.

(The picture is taken from google: http://www.ictblog.it/uploads/skype-settembre.jpg)





That's all for the moment
Bye bye

Francesca ^_^







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home